External Member of Audit and Risk Committee
Purpose of the Role
We are seeking a new external member for our Audit and Risk Committee, a major committee of our governing body, the University Council.
The committee is responsible for:
- Assessing and advising Council on the effectiveness of the institution’s risk management, control and governance arrangements, and the internal controls and procedures to promote economy, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Oversight of external and internal audit arrangements, including advising the governing body on the appointment of the audit providers, and oversight of the nature and scope of external and internal audits and the effectiveness of the audit processes; and
- Oversight of audit aspects of the University’s financial statements, including the External Auditors’ opinion, the statement of members’ responsibilities, the statement of internal control and any relevant issue raised in the External Auditors’ management letter.
We are seeking individuals with the passion to support us in this work, including monitoring the University’s risk management framework, providing oversight of our risk management activity, monitoring financial reporting processes and compliance processes, and the performance of auditors (external and internal), as well as overseeing the audit programme.
You will be committed to working constructively, in a non-Executive capacity, with the University’s Chair of Audit and Risk Committee and the Chief Financial Officer in reviewing the effectiveness of the financial and other internal control systems of Cardiff University.
As an external member you will be independent from the University as set out in our Statement of Independence
Cardiff University is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture. The University wishes to encourage applications from candidates with a high level of personal skills and competence to help provide assurance that we are meeting our potential and managing our exposure to risk in a way that delivers economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
The role offers new challenges, continued professional development and the opportunity to make a difference.
- Experience in Higher Education.
- An ability to provide critical scrutiny of strategy, financial and other plans, risk, assurance and performance oversight by:
- using professional knowledge and experience
- analysing complex data and information
- reaching informed judgement
- using effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Significant experience in large and/or complex Higher Education organisations, or a comparable track record of personal accomplishment;
- Experience in a leadership role;
- Awareness and understanding of the role of a Non-Executive or Trustee, in the public, private, or voluntary sector;
- An understanding of the context for UK higher education and research, as well as the wider European and international context for world leading universities;
- Welsh speaker.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of people from many different backgrounds. We therefore welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, socio-economic status and/or age.
In return this stimulating and rewarding role offers successful candidates new challenges, continued professional development and the opportunity to make a difference in one of the UK’s leading educational institutions, helping to tackle the challenges of today and educating the leaders of tomorrow.
Terms of Office and Time Commitment
As a member of our Audit and Risk Committee you will be expected to contribute the equivalent of approximately six days per year.
You will be expected to attend meetings, normally four times per year.
Meetings are normally held within a 9am and 5pm window, virtually, but with at least one face to face or hybrid meeting each year.
The term of office is for a period of three years.
The post is non-remunerated but reasonable travel expenses will be paid and IT equipment can be provided.